Tilapia, a firm and white-fleshed fish, is gaining rapid popularity in trendier restaurants for its versatility and deliciousness—not to mention its relative affordability in comparison to similar-tasting fish. This household favourite gets a refreshing but familiar twist through the classic Asian flavour combinations of soy sauce, ginger powder and sesame, giving this deep-fried seafood dish a bit of lift and zest. The chopped garnish of green onions and cooked minced garlic are a perfect contrast to the added sweetness of a bit of brown sugar, making this viand a great pairing with white rice for virtually any meal of the day. Make sure you drain the fish a bit so the cooking oil doesn’t combine with the sesame oil and make this dish too greasy. Frying tilapia takes only a bit of time, and you can make the sauce while doing this, so it’s a quick fix for those who want a hearty meal after a long day!
- 1 Tilapia
- ½ cup cooking oil for deep frying
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 stalk green onion cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar dissolved in about 1 tablespoon of water
- Brown the garlic in oil. Set aside.
- Deep fry the tilapia. Remove the tilapia from the pan. Discard the oil.
- Combine all the ingredients for the cooking sauce, and half of the cooked garlic.
- Using the same pan, pour the cooking sauce into the pan over medium heat. Add the tilapia and the green onion. Leave some green onion for garnish. Simmer the tilapia for about 15 seconds on each side. Remove the tilapia from the pan.
- With the remaining sauce still in the pan, turn up the heat to high, until the sauce thickens. Pour the sauce over the tilapia and serve. Garnish with the remaining garlic and green onions.
Recipe Source here
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More