- 1 kilo pork with fat (cut into chunk cubes)
- 2 cups bagoong alamang
- 1 head of garlic (minced)
- 1 big onion (minced) 4 tomatoes (diced)
- 4 chili peppers (minced)
- ? cup vinegar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- ? cup water
Binagoongang Baboy is a pork dish stewed in bagoong alamang or shrimp paste. It is considered as one Filipino dish to die for. The smell of the bagoong along with the mild salty taste of the pork makes this dish one of a kind. This is usually and traditionally served together with fried eggplants and has a salty-sweet and spicy flavor. Other variation of the dish is the binagoongang baboy sa gata (pork in shrimp paste and coconut milk.) Adding the coconut milk makes this dish more creamy and flavorful. Bagoong alamang is made from minute shrimp or krill (alamang.) This, being the main ingredient of the dish, is also used as a condiment served as appetizer or side dish when served with dishes like kare kare (beef and vegetable stew with peanut sauce and oxtail) and pinakbet (mixed vegetables in shrimp paste.)
It is also served as sawsawan or dipping for green mango and grilled or fried fried fish. So what can we get from eating this “Binagoongang Baboy”? Basically, shrimp used in making the bagoong alamang has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which is good on reducing immune related problems of diabetes. Furthermore, shrimp adds cancer-fighting minerals in your diet. Shrimp pastes were salty so be watchful on adding more, because too much of it might ruin your dish. Also, be careful on adding chili paste. Though chili food’s a bit more enticing, too much of it also, won’t do any good on your dish. So, just follow the instructions below, carefully and I assure you, you’ll do the best binagoongang baboy! Get ready for a nice cooking!
- In a casserole, boil pork and lower fire until waterevaporates and pork oil starts to come out.
- When pork is lightly crispy, put in on the side andsaute garlic, onion, tomatoes and chili peppersin the fat and mix pork once more.
- Add in the bagoong and cook while stirring for 5minutes.
- Pour in the vinegar and stir well.
- Add in the sugar and let simmer for 10 minutes orjust until cooked.
- Serve hot.