Brazo de mercedes. Heavenly. Melt-in-the-mouth. Discover your way to having this delightful sponge cake recipe here.
Brazo de mercedez is an adaptation of Swiss roll that is a type of sponge cake roll filled with cream, jam, or icing. This dessert often found among celebrations is made with soft meringue rolled around that rich custard filling. The flavors of the roll and the filling really complement each other, making brazo de mercedez an all-time favorite.
Intimated with the complexity of the process? Do not be afraid. You can surely follow the simple instructions below, easy as 1-2-3. In this recipe, extra nutty feel is added with the toasted cashew nuts. Few tips for a successful roll? Make sure that you are using really fresh eggs. Why? They whip better and that is proven. Also, make sure that no traces of yolk get into the whites as they will not expand properly. Want to prevent the egg yolks from curdling? Then make sure to cook the custard over low heat.
Ready for your roll? Oops! Do not overbeat. Try tilting your bowl. You will know that you have reached stiff peaks when the whipped whites no longer slide around. Now, proceed, and let us know how did it turn out on your first try. Enjoy!
- 14 ounces condensed milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup finely ground and toasted cashew nuts
- 10 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, simmer milk over low heat until reduced to 2 cups. Add sugar, butter, and vanilla extract, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks in mixing bowl. Add a little of the milk to the egg yolks, stir, then gradually add mixture by spoonfuls back into the saucepan, beating constantly. Stir well to avoid curdling.
- Add cashew nuts and continue cooking entire mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture has the consistency of a paste. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine eggs and Cream if Tartar then Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating continuously. Stir in vanilla.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper greased with butter and spread meringue on top. Bake until brown.
- Spread filling evenly on top of meringue and roll into a log.
- Brush with butter and brown again in oven.
Other Delicious Recipes
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More....