Sometimes you just want something meaty and hearty for a viand which is quick and easy to prepare, and will pair perfectly with some lightly cooked vegetables and steamed white rice. Carne frita is just such a recipe: thanks to its lipsmacking marinade of vinegar and soy sauce to add some salty and sour notes to the tender sirloin cuts used for carne frita, lunchtime will be a breeze. The sliced white onions are made to wilt in the simmered juices of the beef so that the sharp taste of onions mellow down into a mild sweetness that makes it absolutely delectable with the browned meat. Best of all, the reduced sauces of the whole dish are a delight to spoon over rice and may make you come back for seconds. Just watch your simmering time to ensure that the beef remains soft yet flavorful even after added browning!
- 1⁄2 kg sirloin
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup dark soy sauce (preferably Filipino soy sauce)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 laurel leaf
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 white onions
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Slice sirloin 1/8 inch thick.
- In a saucepan put in the meat, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic,laurel leaf and peppercorns. Boil the meat over low heat. Leave uncovered until the smell of vinegar dissipates, DO NOT STIR.
- Add water when needed.
- Cover and let simmer until meat is very tender.
- Season with salt.
- Slice the white onions into rings.
- In a frying pan, saute the onions till wilted. Remove from pan.
- Put in the meat, reserve the liquid it was boiled inches
- Brown the meat. Add the reserved liquid. Let it simmer till liquid has been reduced.
- Transfer meat to a platter, pour sauce over. Top with sauteed onions. Serve hot with Jasmine rice.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More