INGREDIENTS:For the broth:
1 kilo beef bones
500 grams beef brisket, cut into cubes
1 pc ginger, thinly sliced
1 pc white onion, sliced
1/8 cup fish sauce
2 tablespoons white sugar
5 pcs star anise
5 pcs garlic cloves, slightly toasted
1/2 tbsp salt
For the noodles:
250 grams rice sticks noodles, soaked, cooked and drained
150 grams beef sirloin, sliced into paper-thin
For the garnish:
1/2 white onion, sliced paper-thin
3 pcs spring onions, chopped
3 tbsps cilantro, chopped
200 grams bean sprouts
10 pcs basil leaves
3 pcs red chili
1 pc lime, cut into thin wedges
Freshly ground black pepper
PROCEDURE:For the broth:
- Put water in a stock pot and bring to a boil.
- In a second pot, place beef bones and brisket. Add water until bones and meat are covered. Boil for five minutes.
- Transfer the bones and meat to the first pot of boiling water. Discard the previously used one.
- Add ginger and onions, fish sauce and sugar. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until the brisket is tender.
- When the broth is simmering, add star anise and garlic cloves. Simmer until fragrant, then remove the anise, garlic and onions.
- Add salt.
To assemble the Pho Beef Noodles:
- Put the noodles in a bowl.
- Add beef brisket pieces and raw sirloin.
- Ladle about two to three cups of the boiling broth to the bowl.
- Top with onions, chopped spring onions, basil, bean sprouts, red chili and a lime wedge.
- Serve hot.