1 whole native chicken, cut into eight pieces
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pc onion, sliced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon ginger, julienned
3 tablespoons fish sauce
½ cup fresh tamarind
4 cups water
1 cup sliced string beans
1 cup sili (chili) leaves
1 cup sampaloc leaves
- Sauté garlic in oil until light brown.
- Add the onion and ginger.
- Fry the chicken and season with a tablespoon of fish sauce until the chicken
- turns light brown.
- In a separate sauce pan, boil tamarind until it becomes tender.
- Strain until you get a thick paste.
- Add the tamarind paste and let its flavors seep into the chicken for about half a minute.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the chicken.
- Season the broth to your liking by adding more fish sauce or salt.
- Add the vegetables starting with the string beans and let it cook for about a minute.
- Add the sili and tamarind leaves and simmer for a minute before turning the heat off.