- 1 slab of pork belly (liempo, lechon kawali cut) approx. 500 – 750 grams
- pot of boiling water
- rock salt
- aluminum foil for wrapping
- Boil water – add a tablespoon of salt after it simmers (if you put salt early, it will take longer to boil as salt lowers the temperature of water)
- Put in slab of pork belly, cover pot and boil for 45 – 60 mins. or until tender, depending on size of meat
- Before meat gets fully cooked, pre-heat oven at 200°c (about 390°f)
- Take out the cooked pork, drain and let it rest for a few minutes
- The pork slab will shrink after boiling
- Tip: Score the top layer of the skin into squares (this way, it’s easier to slice through the meat when the skin gets toasted after roasting).
- Rub about 1 tablespoon rock salt all over the cooked slab, making sure the skin side is well seasoned
- Wrap in foil, exposing only the top
- Place the wrapped salted pork on a tray and put in the pre-heated oven (the rack should be a step up from the middle if you have an oven with top broiler like mine, so skin gets nicely browned)
- Roast for 45 minutes or until the top skin is cracked, browned and toasted
- You will see some bubbling on the skin while roasting
- When it’s done, carefully remove from oven and let it rest for a few minutes before chopping.
- Slice through the cuts from the skin.
- Serve immediately to enjoy the crackling skin and juicy meat slices. Lechon kawali is a family favorite during gatherings but as you can see here, it’s pretty easy to cook on a more regular basis.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More