- LIPINO SWEET RICE DESSERT SHOPPING LIST:
- Glutinous Rice Flour
- Coconut Milk
- Anise Seed
- IN THE PANTRY:
- Jackfruit or Langka(optional)
- RICE CAKE
- 2 cups Glutinous Rice Flour
- 1 can Coconut Milk (2 cups equivalent), slightly heated
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Anise Seed (optional)
- 1 can Coconut Milk – to make Latik topping
- SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup cubed Jackfruit or Langka(optional)
- Make the simple syrup by boiling the sugar and water and flavor with jackfruit. Set aside.
- Make the Latik.
- Mix the flour, coconut milk and sugar, then strain. Add the anise seed and latik(without oil).
- Place the mixture in a non-stick skillet and stir until they come together, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low, and add a couple tablespoons coconut oil to keep from sticking to the pan.
- Flatten to ¼ inch thick and turn or flip over repeatedly every 3-4 minutes, cooking for a total of about 15 minutes.
- Set on an oiled plate, cut in squares and put directly in the sugar syrup to keep from sticking together.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- Cooking Tips:
- No jackfruit? Use other flavor options for the simple syrup : lemon (from lemon rinds), pandan, caramel(brown sugar) or just as it is.
- I use kitchen shears or scissors to cut the kalamay in serving sizes, so much easier than using a knife.
- The recipe starts off as a thick liquid rather than runny so the mix comes together right away during cooking, thus cutting the mixing time in the pan.
- Cook on low heat up to 12-15 minutes once the cake comes together to cook the flour thoroughly and to keep the cake from spoilage.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More