- 1 leg of pork (approx. 4-5 lbs)
- Curing solution (brown sugar, cup rock salt, saltpeter(salitre)
- Wash thoroughly to remove blood.
- Make 2-3 slices in the thick portion of meat and hang to drip.
- Prepare curing solution (for every kilo of meat): 1/3 cup brown sugar 1 cup rock salt 1/2 tsp saltpeter (salitre)
- Mix ingredients thoroughly and divide into 3 parts.
- Rub one part of the mixture on the meat and place in a curing vessel. (Use nonmetal container).
- Leave for 2 days in a cool place or refrigerator. On the 3rd day, resalt with the other 1/3 curing mixture, turn and leave for another 2 days. On the 5th day, turn meat and resalt again with the other third mixture. Let stand for another 2 days.
- On the 7th day, wash meat and soak until no more salt is on the meat.
- Let meat drip for 30 minutes.
- If you want to smoke, this is the stage to smoke it, if not, then it is ready to be cooked.
- To smoke: Rub cured meat with ground pepper and pieces of bay leaf mixture.
- Smoke over an improvised smoking chamber, using live coals over which are place dried guava leaves, corn cobs, rice hulls and sawdust. Do not let fire burn.
- After 6-10 hours, the ham is ready to be cooked or stored).
- To cook: 1/3 cup sugar powdered black pepper 1/4 cup wine Let simmer until meat is tender.
- To glaze: Place brown sugar all over the fatty portion of the ham. Brown in the broiler until sugar melts.
- Slice and serve.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More