Want a unique coconutty flavour on your dish, but not a fan of ginataan? Well, try this lumpiang ubod recipe here.
Lumpiang sariwa is a Filipino version of spring rolls or fresh eggrolls. It is a vegetable dish of different vegetables wrapped with a soft wrapper and is usually garnished with sweet sauce and crushed peanuts. Lumpiang ubod is a popular version of lumpiang sariwa. Another variation is that what we commonly called as “lumpiang hubad” or that unwrapped version. Ubod is the heart of the coconut tree, which is stripped and sautéed with shrimp and other that you want to go along with them, rolled in crepe-like wrappers made of flour and eggs, and drenched with a sweet sauce and peanuts. You may also want to add peanut butter to your sauce aside from the crushed peanuts.
Finding ubod could be difficult. In such situation, you may sort to using an alternative vegetable that has the same texture as the ubod-bamboo shoot. But do not just pick fresh bamboo shoots unless you know how to prepare them. They can have a bitter aftertaste if not prepared appropriately.
You can also try frying this lumpia and have a garlic vinegar dipping sauce instead. But that’s a different recipe, which can work as well.
Want to have your first lumpiang ubod now? Do it now. Happy cooking!
Lumpiang Ubod Recipe
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 100 g chicken breast, boiled and shredded
- 100 g prawns, peeled and chopped
- 500 g ubod, julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 100 g Baguio beans, julienned
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- For wrapping
- 12 pcs medium – large size lumpia wrapper
- 12 pcs lettuce leaves
- For the lumpia sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2½ cups water
- 1-2 cups peanuts, toasted and ground
- 4 cloves garlic, minced finely
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Sauté onions and garlic.
- Add chopped prawns and stir until it changes color.
- Add chicken and sauté for a few minutes.
- Stir in the ubod and carrots.
- Add shredded cabbage.
- Add enough chicken broth for the vegetables to become tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until the vegetables are just tender.Mix all the ingredients together, excluding the peanuts and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until thick.
- Remove from heat, then add the minced garlic.
- Serve with sprinkled ground peanuts.
- Drain and cool.
- Wrap a portion of the filling and a lettuce leaf on a wrapper.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More