Want an easy snack or party dish? Try this simple macaroni salad recipe.
Macaroni salad, similar to spaghetti, is typically served during fiestas or any celebration, such as family outings and picnic. This variety of dry pasta salad has been adapted by Filipinos from the westerners. From the tidbits of chicken and cheese and raisins, macaroni salad has now its Filipino version of flavors.
Macaroni originated from Italy and can be straight or curved, in which case it is frequently called elbow macaroni. Aside from the usual elbow macaroni, other types of short cut pasta can also be used, such as penne, rotini, and mostaccioli.
Generally, Filipino-style macaroni salad uses chicken, which should be boiled and shredded, as well as carrots, raisins, cubed cheese, and pickles. Sometimes, one would find pineapple bits and hams in it, depending on the preference of that who prepared. The elbow macaroni is cooked al dente and drained. All ingredients are then combined in a mixing bowl. Commonly served chilled, this macaroni salad can be creamy, cheesy, meaty or a combination of the three. Easy, right? As ingredients can be prepared beforehand, such dish will be good for instant get-together and potluck.
Here, try this light macaroni salad that fits those who opted for simply less ingredients.
- ½ kilo small shell or elbow macaroni
- ¼ tsp. oil
- Italian dressing (optional)
- ½ cup sliced stuffed olives
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 white onion, grated mayonnaise.
- In a large pan, boil water and add 2-3 drops of oil.
- Put macaroni and cook for 7 minutes or until al dente.
- Drain. Rinse under cold water and drain again.
- Put in a bowl, Moisten with Italian dressing and add sugar, if desired, Toss lightly.
- Add olives, celery, onion, and mayonnaise, Toss.
- Cover and chill before serving.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More