This utterly light and fluffy Pinoy bakery staple is the perfect accompaniment to the day’s first cup of coffee, or as a treat in a packed lunch. With a tender crumb and enough lift from baking powder and plenty of egg whites to make it a wonderfully airy treat, there’s little wonder why pusong mamon is an expression meant to say that someone has an incredibly soft heart. In this recipe, the addition of a little orange juice gives it a touch of sun-kissed sweetness that also provides a refreshing break from merely using sugar—the grated zest from the orange also emphasizes that contrast between the sour and the sweet, elevating this recipe with an added degree of flavor and sophistication. If you’ve never baked before, why not try your hand at this household favorite and greet your family with the scent of vanilla and goodies baking in the oven?
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons grated orange pee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Preheat an oven to 325 degrees F and grease 16 muffin cups. Stir the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the oil, egg yolks, grated orange peel, vanilla extract, orange juice, and water. Mix well by until no lumps
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy in a large glass or metal mixing bowl. Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, continuing to beat until soft peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form soft mounds rather than a sharp peak. Fold the flour mixture into the egg whites. Pour the resulting batter into the prepared muffin cups to about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10-15 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Recipe Source: Easy Dessert Recipes
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More