Meatballs are a perfect appetizer at parties, easily complemented by sweet and sour sauce or ketchup thanks to its slightly crisp, savory richness of baked ground beef or pork, which readily absorbs other flavors for contrast. But if you’re looking for something tasty to prepare for a weekend meal, you may want to switch it up with something more mellow and herby which is sure to be a hit even with fussy eaters in the family. This recipe makes use of a creamy, sophisticated white sauce with mushrooms and white wine for depth, and the added beef broth is a perfect complement to the mixture of well-browned meat, dill and onion—with as much hot sauce as you like, just to add a little bit of zing to each bite. It’s definitely a crowd-pleaser that won’t take long to make, though with the richness of that sauce, you’d think otherwise!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- hot sauce to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lb brown mushrooms
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup white wine
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Chop the onion and the dill. In a big bowl, add the ground pork, half the onion and half the dill. Add 2 eggs, the breadcrumbs, hot sauce, salt and pepper and buttermilk. Mix well. Shape into meatballs and fry the meatballs about 3 min per side.
- Place the meatballs on a cookie tray and bake for 30 minutes.
- In a sauce pan melt the butter. Add the onion and saute. Add the mushrooms and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well then add the beef broth and stir. Add the heavy cream, wine, salt and pepper. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs to the mushroom sauce and dill.
- Cook for another 2 minutes, then it’s ready to serve.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More