Nana Ming’s Classic Custard Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ c water
- For the custard:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- For the cake
- 5 egg yolks
- 2¼ c cake flour
- ¾ c sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ c of water with any flavoring, mocha or orange juice (I used vanilla)
- For the meringue
- 8 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ c sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heavy sauce pan, combine sugar and water. Do not stir. On medium heat, caramelize sugar until it turns golden brown. Immediately pour it over a 9 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- For the custard:Mix all ingredient together. Stir lightly using a whisk. Strain and pour it over to the caramelized pan. Set aside.
- For the cake:Sift together all the dry ingredients. Beat the eggs and gradually add the dry ingredients and the flavored water. Set aside.
- For the meringue: Using a stand mixer , beat the eggs whites until fluffy and add cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks begin to form. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until it becomes stiff.
- Fold the cake mixture into meringue mixture, until it is well blended. Make sure to eliminate any bubbles in the process.
- Slowly pour into the pan. Bake in a baine marie for about an hour or until firm. Let it cool. Run a knife around the pan and turn it upside down.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More