Deliciously soft and sweet, an utter delight in the morning and best enjoyed when freshly baked, pan de coco is the stuff of childhood memories—warm bags fresh from the corner bakery filling the dining room with the heavenly scent of butter and sugar and coconut, the soft buns being split into two as a perfect accompaniment to milky coffee for breakfast…pan de coco evokes a sense of home and belonging, and is a must in every Filipino bakery. The sweet crunch of sugary coconut is counterbalanced perfectly by the soft white bread, and is actually very easy to make at home on your own. Thinking about a starting recipe for your first baking experience? This nostalgic one is sure to bring a smile to everyone who’s ready for merienda, and you may find yourself hard-pressed to resist eating one before they’ve cooled down a little bit!
- 4 Cups bread flour
- ¾ Cup warm milk
- 2 Teaspoon rapid rise yeast
- ¼ Cup white sugar
- 4 Eggs
- ½ Tablespoon salt
- ¾ Cup melted butter
- 1 egg beaten with a splash of water (egg wash)
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1½ Tablespoon softened butter
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla
- Mix together warm milk, yeast, sugar and eggs.
- Mix flour and salt, add melted butter.
- Combine egg mixture to the flour mixture, mix well to form a dough.
- Turn dough into a well-floured surface and knead until soft and elastic.
- Place the kneaded dough in a well-oiled bowl.
- Cover with a cloth and allow to rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces, and 3 to 4 roll in each pieces.
- Form dough into a ball, flatten it by hand or rolling pin.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of filling at the center.
- Pinch all the side together and twist to seal the edges.
- Place pinched side down on parchment paper.
- Cover with cloth and let it rise until doubled in size, about 1 hours.
- Bake at 350°F for about 5 minutes, brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake for another 15 minutes or until top becomes golden brown.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More