Soft chicken meat that’s so tender that it falls off the bone, the rich creaminess of coconut sauce—these are just two elements in one native dish that’s easy to prepare and even easier to eat up because of how good it tastes. The pineapple chunks in this recipe add a touch of sour tropical flavor that adds a flavorful contrast with the thick and silky coconut sauce here—the chicken absorbs this readily and retains its moisture, making for one incredibly decadent yet healthy mouthful thanks to the potatoes, tomatoes, bell peppers and carrots that go into this recipe. You can choose not to cook the vegetables for too long so that they stay a bit crunchier as a counterpoint to the tender chicken. Just make sure you keep stirring that sauce so that the coconut milk doesn’t curdle up from the heat of the pan!
Pininyahang Manok sa Gata Recipe
- 1 whole chicken cut in serving pieces
- 1 can coconut milk
- 12 oz pineapple chunks
- 1 cup (juices from pineapple chunks can)
- 2 medium potatoes cut in bite size
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 small carrot cut in bite size
- 1 red or green bell pepper cut in cubes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- fish sauce to taste
- pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- Marinate chicken in pineapple juice for 30 minutes to 3 hours.
- After marinating drain the chicken and save the juices.
- Add cooking oil to a preheated pan. Sear the chicken in batches until the outer parts turn light brown.
- Add the onion, garlic, and tomatoes. Season with fish sauce and pepper. Stir until soft and fragrant.
- Pour marinating juices and coconut milk in. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for at least 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Stir occasionally to avoid curdling.
- When tender, add the potatoes and carrots. Simmer for at least 10 minutes until partially tender.
- Lastly, add the pineapple chunks and the red bell pepper. Stir and simmer for a few minutes. Turn off heat.
- Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!
- Recipe Source here
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More