Conscious of your rice intake? Well, you can substitute it with this-potato salad. Yes, another source of carbohydrate.
Potato salad is made (obviously) from boiled potatoes. This dish comes in many versions in different regions of the world already. Though it is called as salad, potato salad is actually a side dish, as it usually accompanies the main course. It is often served with barbecue, hot dogs, hamburgers, and fried chicken among others. Generally considered as casual fare, this salad is typically served at picnics and other casual meals and events.
Among large gatherings, you may observe that this dish is a popular menu. Why? Because it can easily be made in large quantities and be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until needed. More so, you will not need inexpensive ingredients to come up with such a healthy salad.
The variations of potato salad come from the different types of dressing that accompany it. Included in those types are mayonnaise, yogurt, or sour cream dressing; vinegar dressing; fresh herb or dill dressing; or raw onions and pickles. Sometimes hard-boiled eggs are used.
In this recipe, a combination of mayonnaise and pickle relish is used. Ready to eat your salad? Serve this with your favorite main dish and enjoy!
- 6 large potatoes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard (or yellow mustard)
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 2 raw eggs
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch paprika (optional)
- Peel the potatoes, and them cut them in half (you can leave the skins on if you wish). Place them in a pot of boiling water and boil for about 17 minutes or until a fork penetrates through fairly easily. Do not make them too mushy. In the mean time, boil the eggs in separate pot.
- Allow the eggs and potatoes to cool completely. You can set aside them in the fridge to cool them down faster.
- When they are cool, slice the potatoes into bite size pieces. Peel and dice the hard boiled eggs.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix them until well combined.
- Add in the potatoes, celery, and a pinch of paprika. Mix until well incorporated. Adjust the seasoning according to taste. Set aside in a fridge to chill for about 2 hours or so.
- Serve the potato salad with your favorite main dish and enjoy!
Source : Cook n Share
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More