- 3 1/2 pounds duck cleaned
- 1 orange peeled
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange rind grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur, optional
- 2 oranges sliced
- 1 bunch parsley for garnish
- Wash duck, dry it and make sure to remove any remaining pinfeathers.
- Pull away and discard any loose pieces of fat.
- Place the peeled orange inside duck cavity, sprinkle the outside of duck lightly with salt and garlic powder.
- Rub the salt and garlic into the skin but do not prick the skin.
- Line the bottom of a roasting pan with aluminum foil to catch grease, place the duck on a rack in the roasting pan.
- Cook in a preheated oven for 1 hour on 375 degrees F oven.
- In a bowl mix brown sugar and cornstarch.
- In a saucepan place the mixture together with the orange juice, ornage rind, lemon juice and orange liqueur.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly until the mixture loses its cloudiness and thickens slightly.
- Remove duck from oven and allow to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not turn oven off.
- Split the duck in half remove the breast bone.
- Drain off any remaining fat for pan.
- Place the duck halves on the rack skin side up.
- Brush the duck with the orange sauce and reserve the remaining sauce to serve at the table.
- Roast the duck for another 30 to 40 minutes. When done the skin should be very crispy and browned.
- Serve the duck surrounded by orange rounds and garnish with parsley.
- Pour the warm orange sauce into a gravey bowl and pass around.
- Serve with a wild rice medley.