- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 to 5 medium onions, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 4 cups fish or chicken stock
- 2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen okra
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 pints oysters, undrained
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file
- Cooked rice
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add flour very slowly, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until flour is very brown.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is soft but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, fish stock, shrimp and bay leaves.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add seafood seasonings. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add okra, salt and pepper. Continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add oysters and simmer 10 minutes or until edges of oysters curl.
- Just before serving, stir in gumbo file.
- Serve over rice.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More