5. Avocado can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels
Heart disease is the most common cause of death in the world (16). It is known that several blood markers are linked to an increased risk (such as cholesterol, triglycerides, inflammatory markers, and blood pressure, among others).
The effects of avocado on some of these risk factors has been studied in 8 human controlled trials. These are studies where people are split into groups… one group is instructed to eat avocados, while the other is not.
- Reduce total cholesterol levels significantly.
- Reduce blood triglycerides by up to 20%.
- Lower LDL cholesterol by up to 22%.
- Increase HDL (the “good”) cholesterol by up to 11%.