Adobo is a very popular dish in the Philippines. This indigenous cuisine involves meat, seafood, or vegetables marinated in vinegar, soy sauce, and garlic, which is browned in oil, and simmered in the marinade. Unofficially, adobo is being considered the national dish in the Philippines. The word adobo came from the Spanish word adobar, which means marinade, seasoning, or sauce.
There are different varieties to this dish. Adobo can be white or black according to the ingredient used. White adobo uses salt, whereas the black one uses the common soy sauce. Despite such differences, vinegar is the most basic ingredient. Every ingredient can be changed according to one’s taste. Some would use pineapple and sugar. Other variants use coconut milk.
This recipe is one of the most common and simple version of adobo. You can surely easily follow. Try it now.
Adobong Manok Sa Gata Recipe
- 1 kilo chicken cut into pieces
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup julienned ginger
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1 cup coconut cream kakang gata
- 4 pieces bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon fish sauce optional
- 4 finger chillies you can also use birds eye chillies if you want it more spicy
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- In a deep skillet, sauté the ginger in oil using low heat until golden brown. Remove half of it from the pot and set aside.
- Add the garlic and onion and chicken. Fry until browning occurs.
- Combine vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce, peppercorn and bay leaves. Pour the mixture into the chicken. Cover and continue simmering. (Don’t disturb for a minute to prevent vinegary taste.)
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer. Let it simmer till sauce is thickened.
- Add chillies then simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving dish. Top with the remaining ginger. Serve hot!
Other Adobo Recipes you may like:
- Slow Cooker Adobo Chicken Recipe
- Ginataang Adobo Recipe
- Pork Adobo Recipe
- Adobong Manok or (Chicken Adobo) Recipe
- Adobong Puti (White Chicken Adobo)
- Pork Adobo Flakes Recipe
- How to cook delicious & easy Adobong Tarlac
- Pork Pata Adobo Sa Gata Recipe
- Classic Chicken Adobo Recipe
- Adobong Mani Recipe
- Adobong Hipon Recipe
- Ginataan Chicken Adobo Recipe
- Fillet Mignon Steak in Adobo Sauce Recipe
- Garlic Fried Rice with Twice Cooked Chicken and Pork Adobo Recipe
- Chicken, Pork and Beef Adobo with Atcharang Papaya Recipe
- Adobong Tahong sa Gata Recipe
- Adobong Bulalo Recipe
- Adobong Sitaw with Lechon Carajay Recipe
- Kare-Kare, Adobo at Kilawing Papaya Recipe
- Adobong Pula Recipe
- Adobong Pork Isaw Recipe
- Adobo Baby Back Ribs with Ginger Rice and Mango Salsa Recipe
- Halaan Adobo Recipe
- Adobong Baboy Na Tuyo Recipe
- Pork Adobo With Ampalaya Recipe
- Adobong Tarlac Recipe
- Inadobo Nga Paltat Recipe
- Kiddie Adobo With Kalabasa & Malunggay Croquettes Recipe
- Beef Adobo Recipe
- Adobong Pusit Sa Gata Recipe
- Adobo Sa Dilaw Recipe
- Adobong Lechon Recipe
- Crispy Pork Adobo Flakes Recipe
- Grilled Pork and Liver Stuffed Squid with Adobong Recipe
- Adobong Bangus Recipe
- Adobong Camaro Recipe
- Adobong Bulalo Recipe
- Adobo Pampango De Logro Recipe By Chef Boy Logro