Adobong Pula Recipe
- ½ cup, achuete oil
- 500 grams fatty pork belly, sliced1½ inch wide by2 inches length
- 1 kg fresh chicken (adobo cut), include the heart, liver and gizzard
- 2 heads garlic, lightly pounded, skin on
- 1 cup patis
- 3 cups kaong vinegar
- 2 tablespoons black whole peppercorn (lightly pounded)
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black whole peppercorn
- In a big container, combine all the ingredients (except bay leaves, one of the two garlic heads, and the 1 tablespoon black peppercorn) cover and marinate for 3 hours. Make achuete oil, by heating 1 cup of oil in a pan. Once the oil starts to smoke, lower the flame and place two tablespoons of achuete. In less than a minute, the oil will turn from yellow gold to vermillion. Move the seeds occasionally with a wooden spoon; don’t allow the achuete seeds to burn.
- The oil will be ready in two minutes. Strain and decant the oil in a non-plastic container and discard the spent seeds. After 3 hours, separate the pork from the chicken and place it on a clean plate. Keep the remaining marinade aside. Heat a Dutch oven and place ¼ cup of achuete oil, saute the other garlic (lightly pounded, skin on).
- Once it starts to impart a scent, put in the pork belly and pan fry until it turns a little golden brown.
- Take the pork belly out, add more achuete oil if necessary and pan fry the chicken until it turns golden brown. Add the bay leaves and remaining black peppercorn. Return the pork belly and pour in the marinade. Add vinegar or patis accordingly, bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, lower the flame to the cooker’s possible lowest setting. Cover, let it simmer, for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until the liquid is reduced to half.
- Serve with steamed white rice and fried sweet potato, fried plantain or saba banana.
Other Adobo Recipes you may like:
Check Out Our Recommended Products for you!
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More