Why did Mang Inasal become a big hit? Easy! Chicken inasal. That grilled chicken dish. Discover how to have your own Bacolod chicken inasal, without spending for a restaurant or fastfood or a trip to Bacolod in this easytofollow recipe.
Bacolod City’s chicken inasal. There goes a history. Originating from our very own Visayas region, this roast chicken dish is one of the most craved for by Filipinos. In Bacolod City where the dish is so popular, vendors selling chicken on skewers can be found almost in every corner of the street.
The dish is a simple grilled recipe. Marinating the meat is the first step, followed by grilling. When marinating, do not make it overnight. Just make it 30 minutes. Know why below. Simple as it seems, the marinade and the sauce make the difference on this greatly sought chicken inasal.
Cooking tips. You can remove the chicken skin for a less burnt chicken. Whole chicken can also be used. If you are not it the mood of grilling, you can also try roasting in the oven. Also, make sure to give a generous basting of the margarine/butter mixture.
Bacolod City’s Chicken Inasal Recipe
- 1 whole chicken cut into 6 parts (legs, wings, breasts)
- 1 head garlic macerated
- 2 tbsps. chopped ginger
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sinamak native coconut vinegar
- 10 pieces calamansi extract the juice
- 3 stalks tanglad lemon grass, julienne
- salt and coarsely ground pepper
- Basting Sauce
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup atsuete annatto seeds oil
- salt and pepperlarge
- bamboo skewers
- charcoal for grilling
- In a large bowl, place the garlic, ginger, vinegar, a small amount of sugar, calamansi, tanglad, salt, and pepper. Mix all the ingredients then add the chicken meat. Lightly rub the marinade on the meat. Place chicken in the chiller and let sit. After 30 minutes, turn the meat and let it sit for another 30 minutes. It is not ideal to marinate the meat overnight since the acid of the vinegar will completely break down the enzymes of the meat.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan, over low fire, combine margarine/butter and annatto seeds. Stir until the margarine melts and the annatto seeds are well infused and have developed a deep orange color. Turn off heat then add a small amount of salt and pepper to taste.
- After marinating the chicken, put several slits on the part near the bone to help with cooking the meat fully. Skewer the meat and cook over hot charcoal grill, skin side down, basting it once in a while. As much as possible do not turn the meat more than twice since the result will be drier meat.
- Serve while hot together with steamed rice paired with grilled oysters and sinamak or soy sauce with calamansi and siling labuyo (red chili peppers).