- 1.5 kilo pork liempo (pork belly), whole
- 1/2 head garlic
- 1 tsp. peppercorns
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 bay leaves
- cooking oil for frying
- 1/4 cup patis
- sukang ilocos for serving
- rice for serving
- tomatoes and red onions for garnish
- Add enough water to cover the pork belly
- Add in salt, peppercorns, galric, bay leaves
- Cover and bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer for 45minutes to 1 hour or until pork is tender.
- Remove from the pot and place in a colander and let sit for a while so the liquid will drain. Prick the skin many times using fork then dry with paper towels if necessary. Brush lightly with patis. Keep refrigerated for several hours.
- In a large kawali, heat enough cooking oil and deep fry pork belly at low heat for 30-45 minutes or until the pork turns brown. When the skin side is up, laddle cold water onto the skin.
- Remove pork belly from the kawali and drain oil in a colander or paper towels, allow to cool completely.
- Chop bagnet to serving pieces and serve immediately with rice, sukang ilocos or tomatoes or onions.
Please download the recipe here