- 1 kg lean beef (rump steak) cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tsp. garam masala
- 4 tablespoons yogurt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large white onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 1 thumb-sized ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 800 ml beef stock
- handful coriander
- 15 -20 curry leaves
- 4 green finger chilies, finely chopped
For the spice mix:
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 tsp. ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. ground fennel seed
- 4 tsp. curry powder
- For the spice mix, combine cumin, coriander, fennel and curry powder. Set aside.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, garam masala and sear in a hot casserole. Take the beef out and set aside.
- In the same casserole, add the onions, garlic, chilli, ginger and add the sugar to help caramelise the onions, followed by the ground spice mix, stir and cook for a minute until the onions are soft.
- Add the seared beef, chopped tomatoes and tomato paste, stir over a medium-high heat for a few minutes and then add the beef stock and curry leaves. Cover the pan with a lid and simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for approximately 30 mins. or until the beef is tender.
- Serve hot with white rice.