Having that Instagram-worthy breakfast is easy with this beef tapa recipe! Try this not just for your feed but for your stomach!
If you are a frequent breakfast eater in your place’s tapsihan or tapsilogan, you might have wondered how they are making their tender beef tapa. It is so savory and really a perfect breakfast option. Delicious! This common silog meal is probably one of the most favorite breakfast options that even the fast food giant Jollibee has this dish on their breakfast menu! Yes! And if you would observe in the morning, many are having this meal in this fast food chain. Most hotels also offer this in their breakfast menu. That is how good this dish is!
Tapa is actually dried or cured meat. Beef is usually used, but other meat like mutton or horse meat or even fish can be utilized. Originally, tapa means being preserved by smoking. However, the term now refers to meat preserved by other means. In this recipe, beef is cured using a marinade, which is made of sugar, soy sauce, sat, garlic, vinegar, and black pepper. Some would actually use calamansi extract instead of vinegar. From these ingredients, it seems like tapa is a kind of dried adobo. These salt and spices actually help preserve the meat, which can be cooked by either frying or grilling. It is served after being cut into small portions or thin slices.
What is the best way to enjoy this meat dish? Of course, with rice. Are you familiar with tapsilog, a family of hotsilog and longsilog? Tapsilog is a term used to describe a meal that is composed of tapa, garlic fried rice or sinangag, and fried egg (itlog). Hotsilog and longsilog are served with hotdog and longganisa, respectively. Although fried rice is a common breakfast option, tapa can also be paired with plain rice and even java rice. It is also sometimes served with pickled papaya strips or atsara or other sliced vegetables. Tapa can also be dipped into vinegar (sometimes with chili) or ketchup.
Ready to make your own beef tapa? Try this recipe now!
- 1⁄2 kilo of Carabao meat
- ● 7 cloves of garlic
- ● 1 pc. Bay leaf
- ● ½ cup vinegar
- ● ½ cup soy sauce
- ● ¼ cup sugar
- ● 1 tsp salt
- ● 1 tsp pepper
- ● 1 tsp seasoning granules
- Wash and cut the carabao meat in your desired cut. Drained
- In a big mixing bowl marinate the carabao meat with salt, bay leaf, seasoning granules,
- pepper, sugar, chopped garlic, soy sauce and vinegar the mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the pan and pour the marinated carabao meat mix.
- When it's boiling turn the heat into low, and let it boil for 1 hour or until the meat gets
- If the meat is soft remove the cover and let it reduce. Mix well to avoid getting burned.
- Served with Garlic Rice and Fried Egg. Enjoy