A cabbage roll is a dish consisting of simmerred, baked or steamed cabbage leaves wrapped around a different fillings depends in its variety. It is common cooked and serve in Northern and Eastern Europe, West Asia, and Northern China. Stuffed cabbage is an authentic Eastern European dish back thousands of years ago. Cabbage rolls can vary depending on which you prefer or the origin of the recipe, the Polish version usually contains meat and rice while the Ukrainian version generally contains only rice. Others uses a combination of beef & pork, seasoned with garlic and onions for the best flavor but you can use any type of ground meat for these easy cabbage rolls. Rice,barley, eggs, mushrooms , and vegetables are often included in the dish.
Cabbage roll is often accompanied with sauce. In countries like Sweden and Finland, the sweet and tarty lingonberry jam is common used, but some countries prefer to used tomato soup for the sauce. The tomato soup may not be typical, it softens & sweetens the tomato sauce slightly and tastes delicious. In Southeastern Europe, pickled cabbage leaves are often used for wrapping seafoods, tofu, and shiitake mushroom is mostly used in Asia but the Chinese cabbage is often used as a wrapping. Try this yummy recipe! Enjoy Cooking !
Beefy Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- For the Filling:
- 8-10 cabbage leaves
- 1 lb of lean ground beef
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 cup of rice
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 beaten egg
- cheese of your choice for toppings
- For the Sauce:
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp of brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of ketchup
- 1 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg and milk. Combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, garlic, onion, and rice.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon juice. Mix until it’s well combined.
- Cutting deeply at a 45 degree angle, remove the core of the cabbage. Place it in the boiling water and allow it to boil for 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove 8 – 10 leaves. Allow the leaves to cool completely.
- Lay out a cabbage leaf and scoop about 4 tbsp (1/4 cup) of the mixture in. Roll it up.
- Pour a layer of sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish. Place the cabbage rollsin, side by side, and cover them with the remaining sauce. Place a lid, or a piece of aluminum foil, on the dish. Place it in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and grate your favorite cheese on top. Serve, and enjoy your beefy cabbage rolls!