This zesty, savory and tangy recipe hailing from Korea has become quite a hit with Filipino diners thanks to the mixture of crunchy vegetables cut in thin strips, with well-seasoned ground beef. The earthy nuttiness of sesame oil, salty richness of soy sauce and touch of heat from the hot pepper paste means that your tastebuds won’t get bored easily thanks to the various nuances of this delicious dish. The spinach, bean sprouts, shitake mushrooms and zucchini ensure that you’ll be getting quite a healthy plateful, but the rich egg yolk and various seasonings mean that you get to enjoy something good for you without sacrificing flavor and texture. It’s actually a breeze to prepare on your own at home, and this recipe is just a basic template—feel free to add your own desired vegetables and substitute your preferred protein for an unforgettable taste of Korea in your very own kitchen.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 100g beansprouts
- a bunch of spinach
- 2 small size of zucchinis
- 5-7 shitake mushrooms
- 250g grams of ground beef
- 1 small carrot
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hot pepper paste
- 1/3 cup garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- vegetable oil
- spring onions for garnish
- Blanch beansprouts and set aside in a bowl, then season with salt, add garlic and sesame oil. Put in on the platter.
- Next blanch the spinach for a minute. Then rinse it in cold water a few times and squeeze it lightly, Mix it with salt, soy sauce, minced garlic and sesame oil. Put in on the platter.
- Saute zucchini in a pan over high heat. When it’s cooked, it will look a little translucent. Put it on the platter.
- Slice shitake mushrooms thinly and saute. Add soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar and stir it for 2 minutes. Put it on the platter.
- On a heated pan, cooked ground beef. Add minced garlic, soy sauce, sugar, black pepper and sesame oil. Put it on the platter.
- Cook eggs sunny side up.
- Put your rice in a big bowl, and arrange all your vegetables and meat. place the sunny side up egg on the center.
- Serve it with sesame oil and hot pepper paste.
- Lastly, garnish with spring onions.