- 4 cups glutinous rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- Banana leaves
- Grated coconut meat
- Cook washed glutinous rice in water just like you do with plain steamed rice.
- In a saucepan, pour the coconut milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Stir and let it boil.
- Add coconut meat and let it cook slightly.
- Add cooked glutinous rice to coconut milk mixture and cook until thick.
- Stirring generously to prevent from burning and sticking to the pan.
- Spread evenly on platter lined with banana leaves or foil container.
- Top with latik.
FOR THE LATIK:
- 1 cup coconut cream
- In a pan over medium heat, add coconut cream and bring to a boil.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid starts to thicken.
- Lower heat and simmer.
- As oil starts to separate and solids begin to form, regularly stir and scrape sides and bottom of pan to prevent from burning.
- Continue to cook and stir until curds turn golden brown.
- Drain latik from the oil.