Braised Savory Meatballs Recipe
- ⅓ loaf bread (preferably day old.) Tore in pieces, crust on.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1¾ – 2 lbs ground beef, ground pork, ground veal, in approximately equal amounts.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- I handful Italian parsley leaves, plus more for garnishing
- 2 leaves fresh sage
- 3 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- All purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups dry red wine
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 cups canned beef broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine bread pieces and whole milk in medium bowl, pressing on bread to submerge.
- Squeeze out most of milk from bread; discard milk.
- Place bread in large bowl. Add ground meat, eggs, finely chopped onion, parsley, sage, garlic, and salt, pepper.
- Working in 2 batches if necessary, transfer meat mixture to processor, process until well blended and mixture looks pasty.
- Form mixture into 1¾-inch-diameter meatballs (about 30). Divide meatballs between two 13x9x2-inch glass baking dishes. Bake meatballs 30 minutes. Set meatballs aside.
- Dust meatballs with flour; shake off excess.
- Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add meatballs to skillet and sauté until brown on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Return all meatballs to skillet.
- Whisk wine and tomato paste in small bowl to blend. Add wine mixture to meatballs and bring to boil.
- Continue boiling until wine thickens slightly, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, reduce heat to medium and simmer until flavors blend and gravy thickens, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer meatballs and gravy to bowl. Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve.