Braised Spare Ribs Recipe
- 1 rack pork (or beef) spare ribs, about 3 pounds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon instant dashi (or chicken boullion)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- green onion, for garnish
- Using a sharp knife, separate each rib for easier cooking.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the ribs and cook breifly for 3 to 4 minutes to help remove excess fat and blood from the meat.
- Drain the ribs in the sink.
- In a wide skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. Oncehot, add the ribs and garlic and cook for a few minutes on either side until nicely browned.
- While the ribs are browning, prepare the sauce. Mix the salt, pepper, dashi, brown sugar, soy sauce, mirin, sake, and vinegar with a few cups of water, enough to cover the ribs. The water will cook down, so it doesn’t have to be exact!
- Once the ribs have browned, add them to the water. Cover and let simmer for 1 to 2 hours until the liquid has been reduced.
- Once the water gets low you need to watch it carefully, it can burn!
Check Out Our Recommended Products for you!
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More