Braised Spare Ribs Recipe
- 1 rack pork or beef spare ribs, about 3 pounds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon instant dashi or chicken boullion
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- green onion for garnish
- Using a sharp knife, separate each rib for easier cooking.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the ribs and cook breifly for 3 to 4 minutes to help remove excess fat and blood from the meat.
- Drain the ribs in the sink.
- In a wide skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat. Oncehot, add the ribs and garlic and cook for a few minutes on either side until nicely browned.
- While the ribs are browning, prepare the sauce. Mix the salt, pepper, dashi, brown sugar, soy sauce, mirin, sake, and vinegar with a few cups of water, enough to cover the ribs. The water will cook down, so it doesn’t have to be exact!
- Once the ribs have browned, add them to the water. Cover and let simmer for 1 to 2 hours until the liquid has been reduced.
- Once the water gets low you need to watch it carefully, it can burn!