Thinking of what to do with those leftover slices of bread? Why not make a bread pudding from them? That is a good way of “recycling” them.
is a bread-based dessert that is popular in many countries, including Philippines. This pudding is made with stale bread and milk or cream, generally containing eggs, a form of fat such as oil, butter or suet, and depending on whether the pudding is sweet or savory, a variety of other ingredients. Sugar, syrup,honey, dried fruit, as well as spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, mace, or vanilla may be used for sweet bread puddings. The procedures are simple. Generally, you just need to soak the bread in the liquids, mixed it with the other ingredients, and then baked. In this recipe, you will not bake them, but you will steam them. Yes, steam. Sounds interesting, huh? Why not take out your pan and start mixing what you have now?
Now, you got a better way of disposing your stale breads. Just make sure that you have milk. You can also try experimenting of what to mix with your bread, not just that fruit cocktail. Happy cooking!
Bread Pudding Recipe
- Leftover pan de salt or while
- Bread cubed to fill 6 cups
- 1 medium can condensed milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a bowl, combine water and condensed milk.
- Soak pieces of bread in mixture. Add vanilla.
- Beat when bread is soft.
- Pour in a greased loaf pan or in a leche flan mold.
- Preheat oven at 340”F, then bake mixture for 45 minutes. (Steam baking is also an option.)