Lemon chicken? Try this Filipino version of chicken in calamansi juice.
The sauce makes the difference. Calamansi is a citrus fruit in the Philippines that is primarily used as seasoning in marinade and sauces or as a hot/cold beverage. The tangy juice is best mixed with fish sauce (or patis) or with soy sauce (toyo) with chili. Aside from being Chinese-inspired, this recipe is not your ordinary fried chicken from Jollibee. Battered in a mixture of cornflour and egg whites with soy sauce and cooking wine, the chicken is a lightly coated and wonderfully crisp piece of meat. The added carrot and spring onions in the sauce will surely add flavours to the dish.
You want it more calamansi-tasting? You may try brining your chicken in a marinade of soy sauce and calamansi? Now, that is truly extreme.
Now, let your kitchen smell wonderfully with soy sauce and citrus. Get to work and enjoy your very own crispy, tangy, tasty calamansi chicken. Enjoy!
- 3 pcs chicken breast fillet
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 pcs egg whites
- 1 tbsp cooking wine
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- Cooking oil for frying
- Shredded iceberg lettuce to serve
- Calamansi sauce:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 10 pcs calamansi, juiced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup light chicken stock or water
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- 2 sprigs of spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsps cornstarch mixed into 2 tbsps of cold water
- Toss chicken with the soy sauce and cooking wine and set aside for a few minutes. Lightly whip the egg whites until just frothy then whisk through the cornflour.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan.
- Dip the chicken into the batter and shake off excess.
- Fry the chicken pieces for around six minutes, turning after three minutes, until lightly brown all over. Drain excess oil.
- For the sauce
- Bring the sugar, vinegar, calamansi juice, salt and stock to a boil in a small saucepan or clean wok.
- Add the carrot and spring onion and toss until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook for about one minute until thickened.
- Slice the chicken and arrange it on top of the shredded lettuce.
- Pour the sauce over that and serve.