- Dry breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set pan of water in oven. Prepare an 8 cup soufflé dish (4 to 5 high). Butter dish and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs.
- Cook 2 ½ tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoon flour together slowly to make roux (foamy and frothy). Pour ¾ cup scalded milk into roux, stirring with wire whisk; cook until thick. Add ½ teaspoon salt, dash each pepper and nutmeg. Add 3 egg yolks to sauce.
- Beat 6 egg whites ¾ cup; add dash salt and ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar, continue beating until soft peaks form. Put Big dollop of egg white into sauce . add 1 cup grated swiss cheese(gruyere)
Or 1 cup chopped seafood . fold eggwhites into sauce . Fill mold to 2/3.
- Set in pan of water in oven. Bake 1 hr to 1 hr and 15 minutes . can leave in warm oven for ½ hour. If necessary.