Panlasang pinoy recipes supports all the moms out there as they take care of their children’s pambaon. So here is a recipe that might interest you-corned beef omelet!
Corned beef is almost a staple breakfast among Filipinos. It is a salt-cured beef product. Why the term corned beef? This comes from the treatment of the meat with corns of salt, which are large-grained rock salt. In addition to salt, sugar and spices are also used. Corned beef was popular during World War I and II when fresh meat was rationed. It remains a known ingredient in many cuisines.
So what about this cheesy corned beef omelet? If you are into cheese, then this is for you! If not, then you can just remove the cheese and still make the omelet. That simple, right? But as much as you can, do not take that cheese out! It gives so much flavor to the dish, we assure you! Making an omelet is easy. Beat the eggs, fry them with butter or oil, and done! It is commonly folded around a filling, such as mushroom and meat. Bacon or ham is also a favorite! And of course, cheese! Chives and other vegetables can also be used to stuff this golden goodie. Milk and cream are also beaten in combination with the main ingredients. Now you have an idea of what this cheesy corned beef omelette is-omelette filled with corned beef and cheese! With the appetizing aroma of corned beef, kids will surely find their way from their beds to the tables.
But have you ever wondered why corned beef is pink in color? This is because most recipes include nitrate or nitrite, which converts natural myoglobin in steak to nitrosomyoglobin. These compounds help reduce the risk of botulism during curing. Botulism is a fatal illness caused by Clostridium botulinum.
Ready for your breakfast menu? Enjoy!
- 1 serving corned beef
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup fresh milk
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Cooking oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add the potato, corned beef, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs and fresh milk. Beat the eggs and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Pour the egg mixture then cook for 2 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the omelet.
- Put the cooked corned beef and cheese on the half part of the omelet. Use a spatula to fold the omelet over filling. Cook for another 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Transfer gently to a plate then serve.