Learn how to cook your favourite chicken Cordon bleu in this easy-to-follow cooking instructions.
Am I the only one here who thought Cordon bleu as a dish with that royal blue color? Yes, as a child, that is my perception of this dish. Well, at least now I know that it is not what I thought it was. Generally, a Cordon bleu is a meat wrapped around cheese (or with cheese filling), breaded, and pan—fried or deep fried. The origins of the original cordon bleu as a schnitzel filled with cheese are in Switzerland, probably around the 1940s, first mentioned in a cookbook from 1949. The earliest reference to “chicken cordon bleu” in The New York Times is dated to 1967, while similar veal recipes are found from at least 1955. The French term Cordon Bleu is translated as “Blue Ribbon” (at least the meaning of the term is not that far from what I first thought of the dish).
Modifications and variations now exist in the preparation of this Cordon bleu. Instead of being fried, the chicken can be baked such as in this recipe here. Other common variations include omitting the bread crumbs, wrapping the ham around the chicken, or using bacon in place of the ham. Among Muslims, the halal version of chicken Cordon bleu is also popular; the chicken is rolled around beef or mutton instead of pork product.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- 4 pcs chicken breast boneless and skinless
- 4 pcs ham
- 4 slices cheddar cheese (and I sliced it into sticks)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground peppercorn
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs – add 1/8 tsp paprika and 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- butter cubed into 8 small pieces (optional)
- Pre-heat oven into 180°C
- Gently pound the chicken breast into 1/4 thickness using a meat mallet.
- Season the chicken meat – sprinkle salt and ground pepper on both sides.
- Place 1 ham and 2 cheese sticks on top of each breast (but I prefer putting on another 2 cheese sticks! i love cheese!) Roll up each breast an secure with a toothpick.
- Dredge in flour. Then brush with beaten eggs. Then finally roll in bread crumbs mixture.
- Brush the baking pan with olive oil, then place the chicken rolls.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Then layer each rolls with butter cubes. Let the butter melts on its top, the roll will absorb its flavor and will give a really nice smell.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- You may serve this your favorite sauce.
- This makes 4 servings. Enjoy!