Have you ever heard of this dish before? Well I assume you do, because it is a certified Filipino dish. The dish has two important parts, the crust and the creamy chicken filling. With one of those missing, this dish would not be called “chicken pastel“. Basically, chicken pastel or “Pastel de Pollo” in Spanish is a creamy chicken dish encased in a pie crust. This is unmistakably compared to that of the “Empanada”, if you may remember one which also comes with a pie. We Filipinos, branded as “Food Innovators” came up with the new idea of replacing the crust with the rice. But then, using the crust is more popular. The creamy chicken filling is just so easy to make. Just follow the said instructions below. Also, take note that not only the chicken meat can be used on the filling, any meat will do so, but still, the most ideal is the chicken meat. For the crust, it doesn’t differ from the other crusts you know.
Just make sure you have measured all the ingredients required like the flour, etc. to avoid a not-so-good- crust. So, what are the benefits we can acquire or get from this savory dish? Obviously, the main ingredient here is the chicken meat alongside with the crust. As we all know, chicken meat is a very good source of lean, high quality protein. Protein is an essential nutrient for growth and development. On the other hand, the crust is a very good source of carbohydrates since it is made from flour. Together, this chicken filling and crust, makes up a good complete dish! So if you want try to control your carbs and protein intake, try doing this recipe! Have a less protein-and-carbohydrate meal! Have a wonderful cooking!
- 1 kilo chicken breast (cut into bite size)
- 1 pc. chorizo (small dice)
- 1 big onion, (medium dice)
- 1 can mushroom button
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 carrot small cubes
- 2 potatoes, medium size cubes
- 1 small can sausage, cubes
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp seasoning granules
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ slurry (water + cornstarch)
- In the cooking pan add the butter until melted. Then add garlic and saute.
- Add onion, and chorizo. Stir for 2 minutes, then add the chicken and stir.
- Add the sausage and season with salt, pepper and seasoning granules.
- Add the chicken broth. Cover; simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 7 minutes add the sliced potato and carrot. Stir and cover again.
- Lastly, add mushroom, milk and thicken sauce with slurry.
- Served while hot. Enjoy
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More