“Sopas” is a Filipino term for soup and is one of the favorite merienda of the Filipinos. Basically, this chicken sopas is a creamy soup with elbow macaroni, butter and of course the chicken meat. There were lots of variation of this sopas, but the most popular is the one with milk. This “chicken sopas” is also good a comfort food and a perfect soup during cold rainy days. Together with the previously mentioned ingredients are the different vegetables such as red bell peppers, carrots and celeries.
If you want to add more vegetables on the soup, feel free to do so. But make sure it will compliment the taste of the soup. Moreover, to add more color to the soup, almost all of those who cook this usually add some red hotdogs. To achieve a great tasting chicken sopas, just follow the given instructions below. Since this soup includes chicken (a good source of protein), elbow macaroni (a good source of carbohydrates) and veggies, we can say that it is already a complete meal. So if you want to cook a complete meal, but doesn’t have much time, this soup is perfect! So, what are you waiting for! try this recipe now and may you have a wonderful cooking! 🙂
Chicken Sopas Recipe
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 pieces chicken breast fillet
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 pcs regular hotdog, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 2 stalks celery, cut into half-inch pieces
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chicken broth cube for added taste
- 6 cups water
- Place chicken in a saucepan, add water, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Take chicken out of the water and set aside.
- While the water in the saucepan is still boiling, add the macaroni. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, adding in the carrots and celery in the last 5 minutes.
- While waiting for the macaroni to cook, cut the chicken into cubes or tear into shreds using two forks.
- In a skillet, melt the butter then sauté the garlic, onion, hotdog, and chicken.
- When the chicken have slightly browned, add the red bell pepper and sauté all the ingredients in the skillet together for another minute.
- Transfer all the ingredients in the skillet carefully into the saucepan.
- Add milk and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- For more flavor, add one chicken broth cube and stir until dissolved.
- Serve hot.