Chocolate Chip Cookie Wreath Recipe
- ¾ cup vegetable shortening, butter flavored
- 1¼ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- Red and green chewy candies, or gum drops
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line 4 cookie sheets with foil and lightly grease the foil.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the brown sugar, shortening, milk and vanilla extract until well blended.
- Beat in the egg.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda.
- With a spoon, stir into the shortening mixture just until blended.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and pecans.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Divide each quarter into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 1 inch ball.
- Arrange the balls on the cookie sheets almost touching to form an 8 inch circle.
- Flatten the balls slightly with your fingers.
- Repeat with the remaining balls to make 3 more wreaths.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the wreaths are lightly browned. Do not overbake.
- Cool completely before removing from the cookie sheet.
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing.
- In a small bowl with the mixer on medium speed, beat the powdered sugar, shortening, milk and corn syrup until smooth.
- If too thick, thin with a little milk. If too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- The icing may be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- Spread or pipe the icing over the cooled wreaths.
- Cut the red and green candies as needed for flowers and leaves.
- Place in clusters around the wreath