Christmas Bread Recipe
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 packages yeast
- ½ cup warm water, 105 to 115 degrees F
- ½ cup nonfat egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 6 cups flour
- 1 grated lemon zest
- 1 cup mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Powdered sugar
- Red candied pineapple
- Heat milk and sugar in saucepan to scalding. Cool to lukewarm.
- Combine yeast and warm water in mixing bowl, stirring until yeast is dissolved.
- Add cooled milk mixture to yeast mixture in mixing bowl.
- Stir in egg substitute, vanilla and salt.
- Beat in 3 cups of flour and lemon zest.
- Beat in remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead in mixed candied fruit and raisins.
- Knead about 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Put dough in greased bowl and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down. Divide dough in half.
- Roll first half of dough on lightly floured surface into oval about ¼ inch thick.
- Fold in half lengthwise.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Brush with half of melted butter.
- Repeat with second half of dough.
- Cover loaves and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let cool to warm.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and decorate with candied pineapple or cherries.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More