Christmas ham braised in white wine with vegetables Recipe
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 boneless cooked ham
- 4 cups dry white wine, divided
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 2 bay leaves, broken in half
- 6 peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Powdered cloves
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- 3 tablespoons sweet-hot mustard
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 10 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- Fresh watercress, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat butter in large, heavy roasting pan over medium heat.
- When hot, add carrots and onions and saute, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Place ham, fat side up, on top of vegetables.
- Add 3 cups wine, parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns, thyme and cloves to pan.
- Bring to a simmer. Remove from stovetop.
- Cover pan. Transfer to oven.
- Bake until quite tender when pierced with knife, about 1 1/2 hours or longer, basting every 20 minutes with pan juices.
- Remove pan from oven. Raise temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Combine jelly and mustard in small saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until jelly is dissolved.
- Brush ham with mustard mixture and return to oven.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven.
- Remove ham from pan. Tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- Let cool for 20 minutes while making sauce.
- Discard bay leaves and parsley.
- Puree remaining vegetables and any juices in pan in food processor, blender or food mill.
- Return to roasting pan. Place pan on stovetop over high heat.
- Add remaining 1 cup wine and stock.
- Cook until mixture is reduced slightly, by a fourth.
- Stir together cornstarch and water.
- Stir into roasting pan and cook, whisking constantly, until sauce thickens lightly.
- To serve, cut ham into thin slices and arrange, overlapping, on serving platter.
- Garnish with watercress. Top with a little sauce. Pass remaining sauce separately.
Check Out Our Recommended Products for you!
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More