Even at one point, I bet that you had this recipe on your Christmas table. Or during your birthday. Macaroni salad. Easy, right?
Macaroni salad is a type of pasta salad. But, instead of serving it hot, this salad is served cold. Made with elbow macaroni and mayonnaise, it is a favorite among children, along with red sauce spaghetti. This salad is also similar to potato salad and coleslaw. They are all often served as a side dish.
Macaroni salad usually contains onions and pickles. Carrots and raisins can also be added. As meat, chicken is the most commonly used one. In Puerto Rico, can tuna is also used. This dish is a staple in Hawaii.
So thinking of what to prepare on your next family gathering? Try this classic macaroni salad. You will surely enjoy this perfect recipe for you!
- 4 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 2½ tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup grated carrot (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Rinse under cold water and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Stir in the onion, celery, green pepper, carrot, pimentos and macaroni. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving, but preferably overnight
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More