Suddenly want a creamy carbonara? Discover how in this easy-to-prepare carbonara recipe.
Among Filipinos, carbonara is becoming common. This Italian pasta dish, which is based on eggs, cheese, bacon, and black pepper, came from Rome. The dish was created in the middle of the 20th century. In this recipe, fettuccine pasta is used, but other kinds, such as rigatoni, linguine or bucatini can also be used. However, spaghetti is usually used as pasta.
Generally, carbonara is prepared by combining the hot pasta with a mixture of raw eggs, cheese, and a fat (butter, olive oil, or cream) away from additional heat to avoid coagulating the egg, either in the pasta pot or in a serving dish. The eggs should create a creamy sauce and not curdle. Meat is also added, in which bacon is commonly used. The use of egg, which maybe whole egg, only the yolk, or a mixture, makes the difference among carbonara recipes.
Cream is not common in Italian recipes, but is used in this recipe here. Other variations may include peas, broccoli, mushrooms, or other vegetables. As the creamy carbonara title implies, this recipe is meant to be creamy. Hence, evaporated milk, all-purpose cream, and cheese, and cheese, and loads of cheese are used. Aside from bacon, ham is also added.
Ready for a creamy dish? Try this now!
- 500g fettuccine pasta, cooked according to package instructions
- 1 pack (250ml) all-purpose cream
- 1 pack (200g) carbonara-style sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- ½ cup ham, sliced into small squares
- 1 cup mushrooms
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ½ cup cheese, grated
- salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ cup crispy fried bacon, chopped (for topping)
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped (for topping)
- In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onion. Sauté until translucent.
- Add ham and mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat then add the all-purpose cream and carbonara-style sauce. Mix well.
- If you want a thinner sauce, add about ½ cup of water.
- Add cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well then bring to a boil.
- Give it another mix before removing from heat.
- Pour the creamy carbonara sauce to the cooked pasta.
- Garnish with chopped crispy fried bacon and chopped parsley.
- Serve and enjoy your creamy carbonara pasta!