Indulgent, hearty and absolutely soothing to the throat and stomach without compromising taste, nothing beats a delicious bowlful of thick and creamy soup on a cold day, especially one full of such tasty ingredients as this. Picture spooning up buttery, tender chicken breast and thinly-sliced mushrooms, with celery and carrots adding both flavour and nutritional value to this rich soup that’s guaranteed to chase the rainy morning blues away and stave off any impending cold you have. It’s a dream come true and perfectly easy to whip up in the kitchen. You can have it as a light meal with some buttered toast, or serve it as a wonderful starter to whet your appetites for the next course. Feel free to sprinkle your preferred herb into this dish—while thyme is recommended as a complement to its fresh flavours, rosemary would also be a great addition.
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 cup peeled and diced carrots
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1-1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 (10-ounce) package baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced (or mushrooms of your choice)
- 2 heaping teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a dutch oven or large saucepan heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add diced chicken, carrots, celery and onion. Cook until chicken is almost done, about 6-7 minutes (stirring frequently).
- Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender (about 4-5 minutes).
- Slowly add flour while stirring to combine. Add chicken broth and thyme and stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently.
- Cover. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add cream and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and heat thoroughly before serving.