Creamy Corn Chowder with Barbecue Shrimp
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup of diced potatoes (2 yukon gold potatoes worked)
- 4 cups of fresh corn cut off the cob (this took 7 medium cobs for me)
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cream or half and half
- 1/2 pound of raw peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- salt & pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add the bacon slices and cook until crispy and golden brown. Remove bacon and let drain on a paper towel.
- Add onions and peppers to the pot with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Whisk in the flour, cooking for 1-2 minutes or until flour becomes golden in color and smells a bit nutty.
- Add chicken stock, potatoes, and corn.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes.