Puto Bumbong is a purple rice cake that is popular in Filipino Cuisine. It is made by steaming a ground purple rice mixture inside a bamboo tube. Puto Bumbong is popular during the holiday season because it would historically be sold outside church during Simbang Gabi. It is typically served on top of a banana leaf and topped with Margarine, grated or shredded coconut and Sugar.
This simple recipe will teach you how to prepare this holiday favorite for your friends and family!
- ½ kilo of Glutinous Flour
- 2 tbsp. violet food color
- 1 and 1/2 cup of Water
- Grated coconut
- Condense milk
- In the big mixing bowl pour the glutinous flour and add water gradually.
- Add the food color gradually then mix it well until become dough.
- Make small balls then arrange into bake pan and cover with foil.
- Steam then puto bumbong balls until cook.
- In the cooking pan toast, the grated coconut until toasted.
- Brush with margarine and put the toasted grated coconut, sugar and grated cheese for toppings.
- Bake for 2 – 3 minutes until melted and