Filipino Carioca Recipe (Fried Sweet Rice Balls Dipped in Sweet Coconut Syrup)
- Sweet Rice or Glutinous Rice Flour
- Coconut Milk
- Brown Sugar
- Bamboo Skewers
- IN THE PANTRY:
- Cooking Oil for deep frying
- 2 cups Sweet Rice or Glutinous Rice Flour
- 1 cup water
- SUGAR DIP
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1½ cup Brown Sugar
- Cooking Oil for frying
- Mix the sweet rice flour and water to form a dough. Add a little more flour if it’s too sticky or a little water if it’s too dry.
- Portion in one teaspoon pieces, then roll each one in a ball.
- With a bamboo skewer, poke a hole through the rolled dough.
- Using medium low to low heat, heat up the cooking oil to deep fry the dough ball.
- Put in the dough balls one at a time, making sure they don’t stick together. Let them cook covered for 8-10 minutes. If the oil is splattering, turn your heat down a little bit.
- Once cooked, drain on a paper towel.
- Prepare the sugar dip by combining the coconut milk and brown sugar in a pan and cook until both are fully incorporated.
- Roll the carioca in the sugar mixture and skewer about 4 or 5 pieces.
- Your carioca is ready to serve.
- Cooking Tips:
- Poking holes through the raw dough balls helps the inside cook faster without causing much oil splatter.
- You get a nice crusty outside and chewy inside if you fry until the outside is slightly yellowish. This may take between 12 – 15 minutes per batch.
- If you’d rather have it soft and chewy, this will take you about 6-8 minutes or just until the inside is cooked.
Recipe by Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ at https://www.panlasangpinoyrecipes.com/filipino-carioca-recipe-fried-sweet-rice-balls-dipped-sweet-coconut-syrup/