I wonder if you have tried this one before. If not, then you should try doing this recipe. In the Philippines, eggplants are commonly used in making tortang talong or eggplant omelet where grilled eggplants are mixed with beaten egg mixture and fried. But how about using them in making a salad?
This kind of salad is a Chinese recipe. Commonly, steamed and mashed eggplants are used. It is served with dressings, such as ground garlic with soy sauce. Hot peppers and cilantro are also added in Sichuan cuisine. In Greece and Cyprus, this salad is known as melitzanosalata, which is made with olive oil and lemon juice. Eggplant salad is a usual lunch eaten with rice. In our recipe here, instead of steamed and mashed eggplants, you can use either grilled or baked ones. Grilling over hot coals will be the best way of grilling to bring out the deep taste of eggplants. Have you tried grilling them? Wow, the scent that will fill the place will stimulate your appetite. On the other hand, baking will give you dry eggplants, which will be easy to peel.
Eggplant salad is an appetizer type that is served in small portions as the first course of the meal. Eggplant, also known as aubergine, is rich in fiber and low in calories. The anthocyanin in traditional purple eggplant may protect heart health. Another chemical in it is nasunin, which helps improve blood flow to the brain. Although eggplant is considered one of the least nutritious vegetables, consuming such a vegetable will still help reduce the risk of lifestyle-related health conditions. And yeah, you cannot just ignore its taste. Adding vinegar and pepper will surely make a big difference. Happy eating!
- 6 – 8 slim Japanese eggplants (not the fat aubergines commonly available in
- American grocery stores)
- 3 – 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tsps of salt
- 6 – 8 tsp of spicy vinegar
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- Red Salted Egg (for garnish)
- Green Mango (Small sized for garnish)
- Filipino Eggplant Salad Cooking Instructions:
- Prepare eggplant
- The best way is to grill the washed eggplants over hot coals.
- This brings out a deep taste to the eggplant.
- The second best way is to bake the eggplants in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
- This method produces a drier eggplant which is easier to peel.
- When expedience is of essence, or there are no hot coals available, just boil the eggplant in a big pot for 5 minutes.
- Let the eggplant cool. Peel the skin off, trying to preserve as much of the flesh as possible.
- With a fork, mash the eggplant in a bowl. Stir in the vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cool for half an hour.
- Garnish with sliced Red salted Egg and Green Mango
Looks like there are tomatoes.