Embutido. Spanish. Cured, dry sausages found in cuisines of former Spanish and Portuguese colonies. In the Philippines, embutido is one of the traditional celebratory dish. Weddings, fiestas, birthdays. Those sliced Filipino style meatloaf will be hard to miss. Just look for those sausage-shaped dish served on the table with ketchup sauce.
Though some processing companies are now producing commercial embutidos, a traditionally prepare one will always taste better. Tempting aroma and ingredients. You can fill it with your own ingredients. Generally, embutido is made of ground pork, grated carrots, hotdogs, and eggs. Other ingredients, such as raisins, green peas, are added bread crumbs, as well as flour and condensed milk. You can see a bunch of list of the ingredients in this recipe. Though a bit of expensive and will need a longer time to prepare, this well-known dish will surely satisfy your taste buds and stomach at the end.
The dish is cooked via steaming. After being cooked, embutido can still be stored, even for a month. Of course, you have to make sure that it is frozenly stored in your refrigerator. Thaw it when you are going to serve it, but do not microwave it as the aluminum foil wrapped around it will react. With the sauce, you can also try having your desired dip. A number of choices are given below. Happy eating!
- 400 grams ground pork / pork kasim strips then pounded (babayuhin)
- 2 raw eggs beaten
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1/2 cup raisin
- 4 pieces whole hotdog
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 hard boiled eggs quartered
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 3 tablespoon bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1 head garlic chopped finely
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup butter
- Parsley for garnish
- tomato sauce
- In a large bowl, combined all the ingredients except for the hard boiled eggs and hotdog.
- Mix well, until blended.
- Spread half of the mixture in an aluminum foil.
- Arrange the hotdog and hard boiled eggs on top.
- Roll the mixture
- Roll tightly and wrap in aluminum foil, seal both ends.
- Place the roll in a steamer for one hour. Chill.
- Remove from wrapping before serving, serve with ketchup. Garnish with parsley. (You can also fry if you want)